Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Bitter Twilight

I'm down to the wire on my paper and I made the mistake of starting a new book yesterday during lunch. Silly me!

I just finished reading "Bitter is the new Black" by Jen Lancaster. It was such a hard book to get through but for my sanity I had to see if the damn girl got out of her huge financial hole. And I thought my spending habits were bad! The format of the book was horrible. There were footnotes on every page. Who writes with footnotes? It's not like its a research paper or anything. The plot was horrible and outside of the plot nothing much else happened. Jen lost her job as a vp after 9/11 and it deals with her trying to get a job, keep her apartment, and not go insane. It was rather depressing when I'm sure it was supposed to be funny. Who gets married just to get money to try to get out of debt? You can't tell me she couldn't get a job at a retail store making $7-$8/ an hour. I wish someone would have just told me the ending so I could have done more important things with my time.

Which brings me back to the paper....I finished the book so I'd have no other distractions/reasons to procrastinate. I made my goal of 3 additional pages completed by Monday night:) and I was doing great until someone at work gave me another book to read. I started it yesterday and got completely caught up in the story. It is called Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. I couldn't put it down. I brought it home from work (mistake #2) and for a few hours after work. At 7 I yelled at myself and got back to work on the paper. I managed to get 3 pages done last night for a total 9 pages. Only 1 or so pages to go but it could be more if I don't feel like I've fully covered the topic.

So after feeling a sense of accomplishment on my paper I got back to reading and finished the book around midnight! If you like vampire-ish stories Twilight was really good. I found it to be suspenseful and an easy read. It had me hooked from the first couple of pages! There are 2 other books in the series that I can't wait to get my hands on plus one coming out in August. The series is for young adults though, with a little Harry Potter feel to them. Meyer's first adult novel, The Host, was released last month. It sounds a little too science fiction for my liking but I'll probably pick it up. I think I'll wait until this weekend to get them though as the goal for tonight is to finish my paper :)

Check out Meyer's website since I know I didn't do the series justice: http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/twilightseries.html

No comments: