Friday, December 12, 2008

PO Box or No PO Box??

I have a PO Box. Why? It's complicated. I signed up for one yesterday...but I've come to realize how silly it is that I have one. It's only for six months and so it's not a huge investment. It started with PBS and even more recently some recipe swaps (I hope I get some good ones!!) and I just wasn't comfortable with strangers having my address even if they did live across the country...it feels like an invasion of privacy which is weird because I never had an issue giving out the same info purchasing items on ebay. Now that I have a PO Box (for a whole day) I'm realizing it's pretty pointless: if someone really wants to find out where you live, its really not very difficult in this technology driven society. I've gotten people's addresses on the internet before, for Christmas cards mind you! The internet is a scary place, with alot of personal information out there. Did I do the right thing in getting a PO Box? Well it can't do any harm. In my opinion it's better to be safe and waste a few bucks a month. So now I just have to get to the post office before 5pm to check it...good thing it's not so far away!

No comments: