Thursday, June 9, 2011

PMQG Kona Charm Pack Challenge

For the Philly Modern Quilt Guild’s May meeting, we were issued a challenge.  Take one charm pack of Robert Kaufman Kona solids (the Brights variety) and make something adding only prints. 

I knew right away what the perfect project was for this – Off The Rail by Jaybirdqults.  I even happened to have some of my fav fabric “It’s a Hoot” from Miss Julie herself all cut and ready to go. 

Julie’s pattern uses partial seams ::::gasp!:::::  Super scary, right?!  Wrong!  Easy as pie, really!!!

These blocks went together super quick and before I knew it, I had a quilt top.

For the back, I ran to JoAnn’s and picked up some Kona cotton in Coal(?) and pieced in my left over charm squares (plus a few extra) to make a pretty rainbow.  I LOVE the back. 

I went back and forth debating how to quilt it.  In the end, I went with straight line quilting vertically.  I  really like the way the back looks with the vertical lines.

And scrappy binding made from left over jellyroll strips from another It’s a Hoot quilt.

It’s a decent sized quilt….approximately 54x54”.  It will be living with me and is the first of many quilts I’ll be making for our new baby …coming October  2011.  Officially halfway there and so excited!

2 comments:

Tabatha said...

Congratulations on your pregnancy, how exciting!!!

I love this quilt, the colours are wonderful and I love Jaybird Quilts, she has so many great patterns.

What is partial seams? I'm a quilting newbie...

Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

tricia it looks great!! i love how you mixed the bright solids with momo! :-)