Monday, April 26, 2010

Stash Building...for others

Saturday was the second meeting of the Philly Modern Quilt Guild.  The theme for this month was Pillow Talk!  Lots of awesome pillows including Julie's disappearing nine patch and Amanda's crazy nine patch.  I unfortunately haven't made a pillow since eighth grade so I brought my charisma quilt (still not basted!).  It was the first thing that I actually ever sewed in Home Ec.  It started this craziness!  I would have loved to bring it for show and tell in its purple floral and gold glory but I'm pretty sure its since been thrown out by mom.  I do need some new throw pillows for our porch furniture...so who knows...there may be some pillows in my future!

After the meeting, I happened to mention to Julie that The Little Shop, my local go-to quilt shop, was only 5 minutes away.  Julie was more than eager to add to her stash and accompanied me on an excursion.  If Tula Pink is in a quilt shop, Julie is sure to find out!  Candi was there shopping too picking out fabric for a birdie sling.  I (for once) did not come home with ANY fabric.  I know, right?!?  I really, really wanted fabric for a birdie sling too after seeing 2 at the guild meeting but I was set on using Laura Gunn's Poppy...requiring a (very recent) online purchase.

I've made some progress with the hexagons.  All my strips are paired up and I've figured out my pattern (classic hexes) and more than likely I'll be making a second hex quilt.

The more I make...the more I love!

This is by no means a layout I anticipate using...but I am realizing the importance of a design wall!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to make a birdie sling for my friend using the poppy fabric. And of course, I'll buy a little of it for myself too.

Your hexagons are gorgeous. I like the color combos used.

Christine said...

Pretty!! I wish I could have come! :) Christine

Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

i'm glad you had fun at the meeting! ....and i can't wait to see your hex quilt done!!