Friday, May 22, 2009

My very first finished...

Quilt!!

Here it is, finally!

It's a simple 9 patch baby quilt. It is for friends who had their baby a month ago now. I have no idea how big it is, but I'd guess 42" by 36".

This was my first time quilting so I stitched in the ditch along each row of blocks. It was fairly easy with no major hiccups, but I'm glad I did not ambitiously try stippling!

Binding was interesting though. I followed my Singer Complete Quilting Bible (or something like that) and was not happy with the end result. I machine stitched the binding to the back of the quilt on 2 sides. I decided to hand sew the binding on the other 2 sides and it came out much better. I hated the book's instructions on how to bind the corners; so I'll definitely be looking for a new and better looking method for my next quilt.




Close up of the quilt: Note, the colors did not bleed, it's the shadow of the late day sun.

A view of the back of the quilt...I LOVE this fabric. I think it's perfect for this quilt.

It's washed and ready to go to baby John's house this weekend...I don't know how I'll part with my first (completed) creation!

Next up: An Old Red Barn Co. Quilt-A-Long (see my side bar for the link). I'm off to pick out my fabrics today after work :)

No comments: